The first documented record referring to Santurtzi dates back to the year 1075. To be exact, it relates to the - monastery of Saint Georgis - (St. George's Church), which gave the town its name.
The town first appeared in writing in the 15th century, with various different spellings. The only remaining vestige of this Romanesque chapel is the tympanum, the sole semicircular one in Biscay which is preserved in Bilbao's Diocesan Sacred Art Museum. Nevertheless, we can see a copy in front of the church. A further noteworthy feature is the tower, built in 1844 by Lorenzo Muñiz.
VIRTUAL GUIDED TOUR
Santurtzi has an extensive cultural, sporting and entertainment
activities program, aimed to all audiences. Check here all the
Basque cuisine is another of our highlights. Local restoration is
Santurce has be​​en
one​ of the towns that has had more boats dedicated to inshore